Kingsfield places reading at the heart of its curriculum. A range of reading opportunities are provided for the children to grow that love of reading whilst developing their skills, language and understanding.
At Kingsfield we do the following:
- Storytelling – each year group has 6 books to ‘learn by heart’. This have been chosen carefully with the support of Pie Corbetts recommended reading list. Storytelling happens from Nursery to Year 4, actions are created and drama is utilised to aid the children to learn the story as best as they can!
- ERICA time – shared reading
- High quality texts are chosen for literacy and where it can be fed through into topic work it is done!
- Themed days – we hold book themed days and events both as individual classes and across the whole school eg World Book Day and when introducing a new topic.
- Local Library– we have good links with our local library and all children are encouraged to participate in the summer reading challenge as well as having trips throughout the year.
- Book Fairs are held to allow all children the chance to look at new books of all genres and hopefully purchase a new book of their own to take home!
- Our School Library – the use of our own library. Every child takes a book from our growing library to read at home alongside their ‘home-school’ banded reading book. Each class has a regular slot to visit our library.
- Rewards – When a child completes a book band and moves on to the next colour they receive a book band coloured certificate to celebrate their achievement. Alongside, each child has a bookmark and receives a gold star to stick on when they have done super reading. In addition, our weekly rewards also can be linked to reading!